The Australia Heritage Homes team receives all sorts of requests when it comes to the style of the home. The inspiration for our customers can come from anywhere—the home that they grew up in, a period of history that particularly inspires them, or a style that they just find particularly beautiful. No matter what the reason, we are always motivated to bring the chosen style to life. Luckily our decades of experience in the industry have helped to refine our craft and start to notice the finite details from one style to the next.
These particular owners were interested in a period style home in a Federation appearance and inclusion. The Federation appearance refers to 1890-1915. It was anteceded by the Queen Anne style and Edwardian Style in the United Kingdom and showcases influences from the Arts and Crafts style. The Federation style capitalized on large verandahs and highlighting elements of the outdoor spaces. Other facets include asymmetric gables, decorative timber features, beautiful tiling and deep brickwork.
The land itself was on a steep block with a pronounced rear easement, which required creative loading and work on the foundation. We knew that they wanted a large 30-square double-storey home. We knew they wanted four bedrooms and a study. We knew they wanted a double garage at the front of the property with easy off-road access. But that’s just the basics. Once the foundation of the house was complete, the Australia Heritage team was able to strategize around what Federation-style inclusions the owners wanted to move forward with. We landed on the following:
- Fitted feature brick inserts around the windows and around the house
- A traditional arched verandah with corner fretworks serves as a typical Federation period highlight of the exterior of the property.
- Traditional bay windows were used to create space inside the main rooms, bring as much light as possible into the room and add an additional feature to the external appearance of the property.
- Large walk in robes to master bedroom enhanced the flow of the space and enhanced the functionality.
- Feature timber flooring in all living areas highlighted the specially selected timber trims and spoke to the Federation-style trend.
- Federation period style architraves and skirtings were selected to continue with the traditional theme.
- Period-style panel carved doors with a full high gloss finish are a highlight whenever visitors or family stop by.
- Stone bench tops were used along with traditional style kitchen cupboards in the kitchen area.
The home took beautiful form and the owners were extremely pleased. All that remained was designing the exterior and taking advantage of the surrounding areas. The owners requested a large pool, and a large pool is exactly what we constructed. Another successful property in the books!
The decision to build my home through Australian Heritage Homes is one that I will not regret. The entire building process is characterized by transparency, professionalism and a dedication to serving the customer that is unmatched by other home builders. I am also happy in the knowledge that I have received the best product possible at the best price currently on offer in the market.
The difficulties presented by the steep slope of my block was not a worry for the builder and the design of the home perfectly utilizes the fall and space available.