When we begin the planning process of designing your home, it’s one of the first things that we’ll discuss. After all, the outdoor areas of your home are the first impression to those passing by. Do you want the whole of it to be functional? Do you see any landscaping efforts as purely aesthetic? We have a multitude of solutions for both ends of the spectrum. Here are a variety of things that we try to keep in mind when we have these conversations with our customers:
- Think about travel patterns. We’re not talking about traveling long distances, more so how you and your family and friends will move through your outdoor areas. Will you need pathways from the front to the back? Will you need a specific area for outdoor furniture that will be paved differently? You want to think about the way visitors will move through your home and the areas beyond.
- Are you looking to add a variety of fire source? Fireplaces are no longer found in just interior living spaces. They’re making huge splashes outside as well. They offer a great place to curl up with a book or a glass of wine. We can discuss full-size versions as well as smaller fire pits.
- Is there a focal point? A swimming pool may be the first thing that jumps to mind, but your outdoor focal point can be all sorts of things. We’ve helped design sporting courts, functional gardens to farm, even play houses for the youngest of our customers. Once you know what your focal point is, it’s much easier to design your landscaping around it so that it stands out in the best way possible
- Look for the small details. Once you know what your focal point is, many of the smaller pieces begin to fall into place. This is a very fun part of the process. You start searching for places to add pops of color or plant accents. This is where the big picture really starts to come together.
- Don’t discount function. Often the conversations that we have with our customers show that they don’t think aesthetics and function can play well together. We want to bust this myth immediately. We look for ways for both to work in tandem, like artistic tool racks, or beautifully designed shelves for your potted plants. We will ensure that we maximize your space, and maximize your experience using it.
Questions? Be sure to reach out to your Australia Heritage team. We’ll be happy to help.