We love our furry friends, believe us, there are many who think that they’re paid members of the Australian Heritage Homes team (and half of that audience IS the furry friends). Pets of all shapes and sizes hold a really special place in our hearts for many reasons, as do all of our prospective customers and their families. We talk about pets on a fairly regular cadence on the AHH blog, because we’ve noted that it’s an important topic of conversation for many that we hear from and work with. Pets can be an easy hurdle to set up in front of yourself if you’re on the fence about designing and constructing your home. You were probably already looking for reasons that you didn’t need to move forward with your next home project, but we’re here to dissuade you from using your four-legged (or any sort of) friend as an impediment to your next amazing house.
All that said, it’s very important to work with an expert or a team of experts like those at AHH. We’ll keep you comfortable and looped in throughout the entire process and most importantly – we’ll listen to all of the questions that you have. Some of the common ones that we receive related to pets include:
- Does my home need to only be one storey?
- Do I need to have a certain height of fence if I have an outdoor fence?
- Do I need to look into additional layers of security and where do I start there?
- Do I need to explore double-paned windows or additional insulation?
- What if my dog sheds a lot of hair?
- What if I really want a pool in my backyard?
Now let’s dive into the answers:
Does my home need to only be one storey?
- No, it does not. If you have a pet that has issues navigating different levels or it’s a pet that you want to keep in a confined space, then these are both things to keep in mind, but there’s no universal rule as long as your pet is comfortable and the design is what you were looking for.
Do I need to have a certain height of fence if I have an outdoor fence?
- If you have a particularly rambunctious pet, it’s something to keep in mind. This isn’t a huge cost increase, but it will change the look and feel of your home, so keep that in mind.
Do I need to look into additional layers of security and where do I start there?
- If it’s already on your mind, chances are good that you were planning on looking into it anyways. Start with experts like our team and we’ll be able to point you towards multiple options in your area so that you can fully educate yourself on available options.
Do I need to explore double-paned windows or additional insulation?
- If you have a particularly noisy dog or a very small pet that doesn’t do well when the weather changes, then this is a fixture that it never hurts to explore.
What if my dog sheds a lot of hair?
- Luckily, you won’t have to worry about this as much until the end of the process, given the multitude of options available for materials that limit your weekly cleaning time and allow you to just enjoy time with your pet.
What if I really want a pool in my backyard?
- Then, the AHH team recommends that you should get one and we can talk about exactly what it looks like. The trick here will be a safe and supportive fence or barrier around the area and we have many recommendations.
Bottom line, the AHH team builds dream homes for all of your loved ones and that includes pets. Questions? Reach out!